Caspian Dental Clinic’s sports guards
A sports guard is a specially made, rubber-like cover which fits exactly over your teeth and gums, cushioning them and protecting them from damage.
When would I need a sports guard?
It is important to wear a professionally made sports guard whenever you play sport that involves physical contact or moving objects. This includes: cricket, hockey, rugby, boxing and football - which can cause broken and damaged teeth or broken or dislocated jaws. A sports guard will help protect against these events. We make the sports guards by taking precision impressions of your mouth and making the sports guard fit your own teeth. We will also register the way your jaws bite together to make sure the sports guard meets properly with your teeth.
Where can I get one made?
At Caspian Dental Clinic, We can make you a custom-made sports guard, which will fit your mouth exactly and protect your teeth and gums properly. Custom-made sports guards can prevent damage to the jaw, neck and even the brain - helping to prevent the concussion and damage caused by a heavy blow.
How much will it cost?
We will always give you an estimate before starting to make one for you. The cost depends on the thickness and the colour/design you may choose. The prices start from £80.When you consider the cost of expensive dental work and the risk of missing teeth, it is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Remember, the costume made ones are the safest options.
How long do custom-made sports guards last?
Depending on your age, your sports guard may need replacing fairly regularly. If you are still growing, new teeth will come through and move into position. So the sports guard may become too tight or loose, and will need to be remade to fit the new shape of your mouth.
Adults may not need to have their sports guards replaced quite so often. But they are like any other form of sports equipment and will suffer from wear and tear. It is recommended that you take your sports guard along to the dentist when you go for your check-up, so it can be checked.
What about home kits?
There are cheaper kits available. They involve heating the product in hot water and then putting it in your mouth until it sets. Unfortunately, these sports guards can fit badly and be uncomfortable to wear. They can fall out or even cause choking. Also the material is at its thinnest where it is needed most.
Can I get coloured sports guards?
There are many different designs for sports guards including striped, multi-coloured and clear. Many people now have coloured sports guards made in their favourite team's colours or to match their own sports strip. We can provide a variety of designs and colours to cater for all different tastes and needs.
What do I do if I knock a tooth out?
Firstly, if you can find the tooth and it is clean - put it back into the socket yourself.
- Do put it straight into a cup of milk or keep it in your mouth
- Do go to a dentist or hospital as soon as possible
- Do take painkillers if necessary
- Don't hold the tooth by the root, as teeth are surrounded by fragile ligaments which need to be kept intact if the tooth is to be replaced
- Don't clean the tooth with disinfectant or water or let it dry out
- Don't put aspirin or clove oil on the wound
- Don't panic.
The sooner the tooth is replaced, the better the chance of success. If you have not managed to do it yourself, the dentist will put the tooth back. Remember, wearing a professionally made sports -guard will minimise if not eliminate the risk of such events.
- Desire for eternal youth and rejuvenation treatments, 04 May 2017
- Orthodontic treatments for adults, A to Z of what you need to know, 27 April 2017
- Fluoride -friend or enemy, 16 January 2017
- Benefits of Invisible Braces, 20 September 2016
- Best Private Dental Practice 2016 - North West London , 09 September 2016
- The magic mushroom for the treatment of gum disease, 11 August 2016
- 5 Things you need to know about invisible braces for grown-ups, 29 July 2016
- Impact of straight teeth on social interactions, How orthodontic treatment can help., 27 July 2016
- Dental and oral Hygiene tips to secure the promotion you have been waiting for , 22 July 2016
- Why to choose Caspian Dental Clinic for your dental care, 28 April 2016
- 60 is the new 30, 22 March 2016
- The ultimate toothpaste guide, 04 March 2016